Pets come in all shapes, sizes, colors and species.While most people have cats or dogs or even rabbits or ferrets as pets, one pet that is cute and cuddly and gaining popularity are mini pigs. Yes pigs! So the "cute" part you can envision. But if the "cuddly" adjective has you perplexed or wondering "don't they smell?" well...these are excellent questions! We turned to Katie Bastianelli who writes a blog of the adventures in raising a mini pet pig named Coccolino. We soon learned that pigs, like some cats, do not like to be picked up, but like dogs or other friendly cats, love to cuddle and are extremely intelligent. But mischief is clearly their main trait and so extraordinary patience is essential to accepting your mini pig. Soiled carpets and pirating of food vessels is standard routine. We asked Katie for a very candid story telling of her experience and we're excited to share it with you below. The stories will leave you laughing, wanting to scoop Cocco in your arms and also thankful for your own better behaved cats and dogs. Enjoy the adventures!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
|Coccolino resting outdoors|
|Cocco always find a way to food!|
- A pig will sacrifice anything in the name of food.
- Never leave food packages accessible. Accessible means in a paper package they can easily tear open, knock over (garbage) or on any level low enough to get into (cabinets).
- A pig will seek warmth any way they can get it, be it dog, cat, heating vent or under your sweatshirt.
- Pigs communicate in many noises beyond squealing and grunting. They do not oink.
- Pigs do not like to be picked up.
- Maintaining a pig is easy since their health is excellent overall; maintaining patience to have a pig is trying.
- It is possible to feel love and frustration in equal measures.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Thank you Katie for sharing your story! There are highs and lows in raising and disciplining children and pets. The more knowledge we attain, the better equipped we are to handle the mishaps and appreciate the fruits of our labor--happy, healthy pets and children.
To learn more about the responsibilities of caring for a mini pet pig, follow Coccolino's adventures at www.myminipetpig.com.